Skip to main content

Dorm 101: What To Get For College

Hi Everyone!
I hope you all are doing well. Now that move in day is creeping up on us, I wanted to talk about some things that I feel like everyone should get for college. Now, this is just from my experience and what I needed for five weeks, but I feel like I could give you all a few ideas on what to get. Also, there is an app called The Ultimate College Checklist. I highly suggest you download it because it will help with packing as well as knowing what to buy.

Bedding: 
Now I think you should spend the most money on bedding. The reason why is because that is where you are going to sleep for a year. You want it to be comfortable and cozy.

1) Bed Bug Protectant For Your Mattress
This is not a necessity but in case there is a bed bug outbreak on your floor, you just want to be careful. Also, I suggest the pillow cases as well.

2) Mattress Pad and Foam Topper
These are so important you have no idea. I love having a really super soft bed. I bought both of these items and I slept like a baby. Whenever people would sit on my bed or take a nap, they would always say how comfortable my bed is. I highly, highly suggest getting a mattress pad and a foam topper. The college beds you sleep on are not comfortable. Try to make it as comfortable as possible

3) Twin XL Sheets
College beds are Twin XL, so make sure you get those sheets instead of the twin sheets because they will not fit. I got my sheets from Target. I absolutely love them. They are the jersey sheets and they are so soft and comfortable.

4) Bedding Set
This is my bedding for this year. I absolutely love it. But get a comforter that shows your personality and that you love. There are a ton of places that have good bedding sets so you just have to look.

5) Bed Risers
These are a must. My school has beds that go higher on their own. But some schools do not have that. I highly recommend making your bed as high as possible because that will get you the most storage.

6) Pillows!
Bring a lot of pillows. I am bring four pillows, one is a body pillow. You want to be as comfortable as possible. I only brought two pillows to my school for the summer and I would keep hitting my head on the min shelf that was behind my bed. Not fun. Some schools do not have that, but just remember to bring pillows. I highly suggest a body pillow also. So worth it.

7) Fan
It gets so hot in your dorm room. I highly suggest getting a big fan or a fan that clips to the side of your desk or bed. It is super essential because you will be extremely hot.

8) Bed Side Caddy
I think this is a great idea because you can put your essentials in this bed side caddy. I did not get to use it a lot during the summer, but I know I will use it a lot during the school year. They have these in a bunch of different places like Walmart and Target.

9) Extra Blankets and Extra Sheets.
If you are doing laundry, you are going to need extra sheets to put on your bed. Also, if someone is sleeping over and they need a blanket, you have one. Also, if you get cold easily, you will have an extra blanket.

10) Step Stool
This might seem like a joke but these beds get high. I would have to jump to get on my bed. Get a step stool, it will make your life so much easier.

Closet: 
1) Velvet Hangers
I feel like these are a must. College closets are super duper tiny and these velvet hangers are perfect. They are so slim, you can fit more clothes into your closet. Plus, your clothes do not slip and slide off.

2) Full Length Mirror
This is essential to just check out your outfit or just to look at yourself when your doing your hair. At my school, there is a small mirror on the side of one of the closet doors. Some schools are like that, some are not. Just be aware.

3) Hanging Shoe Rack
You can use this for two different things. You can use it to put snacks in it or you can use it for shoes. I highly recommend getting something like this. They also have shoe racks that you can put on the bottom of your closet. I might do that as well. But try to be selective of the amount of shoes you are going to bringing.

 4) Scarf Hanger
I have an addiction to scarves and I bet a lot of other people do. So I suggest getting something to hold your scarfs and to be able to fit it in your closet. You want to use as much space in your closet as possible.

5) Hanging Jewelry Organizer
I feel this is an essential to any one who loves jewelry. There are a ton of different ones but I got mine from PB Teen. I love it because it is double sided and it is slim and it has enough pockets and slots for me to put all my jewelry.

6) A Safe.
If any of you have read my college experience blog post, you know that I got money stolen from me. I do not want that to happen to anyone of you. I highly suggest getting a safe. There are plenty of safes but do your research on them. A safe is just essential to put all your valuables in like jewelry, money, passport. Anything you do not want people to take.

Desk: 

1) Acrylic Drawers
I got two of these and this is where I will be storing all my make up. I highly suggest only getting two of these types of drawers because you do not want your desk to be cluttered. Also, limit your make up. Bring the essentials and the products that you use on a daily basis.

2) Double Sided Mirror
I feel this is essential to anyone who wants to do their make up or get ready at their desk. This mirror lights up so you do not have to turn on the light to get ready so you don't bother your roommate when they are sleeping. This has a magnified side and a regular side.

3) Letter Holder
You can use this for two different things. You can use this to hold your favorite palettes or you can use it to put essential papers or assignments.

4) Letter Tray
This would also be nice to put any reports or assignments that you might need to look back on. This is not a necessity but it is a suggestion.

5) Tape Dispenser and Stapler
These are extremely essential. I had to staple so many papers and I had no stapler. Just remember to bring both of these. You will use them all the time. Also if you can, get a mini stapler for your bag. It comes in handy.

6) Trash Can
A lot of people might forget a trash can. It is so essential. I used my trash can, my friends used my trash can, everyone will use it. Get a tall one, don't get like a mini trash can because it fills up really quickly. Also, get thick trash bags so you don't have your trash bags break on you.

7) Desk Lamp
Some schools have one attached to their desk. The desks in the doubles at my school do. But I am bring another desk lamp just in case. I highly suggest getting some type of lamp for your desk. The reason why is if your roommate is sleeping and you need to finish a paper, you do not want to bother them .

8) Ethernet Cable
This is your best friend. This connects to the wall and your computer for you to use the Internet. It makes the Internet fast and not slow. For example, if everyone is registering for classes and your Internet is slow, you might not get the classes you need or want. This is an absolute must.

9) Surge Protector
This is another essential. I highly suggest getting at least two of these. The reason why is because there are not a lot of plugs in your dorm room. You will use this 24/7. It is amazing.

10) Pencil Cup
This is a must because where would you put your pens, pencils, scissors, highlighters and white out. Trust me, you will want this.

11) Portable phone charger
This is an essential. This is the best one out there. I used this basically every day when I was at school. Everyone would use this in class because their phones would die. Highly highly suggest this.

12) Computer Lock
This is essential for your computers. In college, a lot of people do not lock their doors and leave their door unlocked and anyone can come in and snatch your computer. This locks your laptop to your desk, so the thief could not take your laptop unless they take the desk as well.

13) Flash drive
You will need a flash drive. You will use it all the time. I needed a flash drive so much but I did not have one. So get one just in case. This will help you so much .

14) Printer
This is not an essential. But I highly suggest getting a printer. I am getting one and my roommate and I are going to share it. Depending on the school, the library might close at 12 and you finish your paper at 4am but your class is at 8 am. You have to figure out how you can print it without being late to class. That is a scenario they gave us at school so that is why I suggest getting a printer. But you do not need one.

15) A seat cushion
Those chairs that they give you are so uncomfortable. This is not necessary but I suggest getting a seat cushion to make the desk seat a little more comfortable. Or bring your own chair if your school allows it.

Bathroom: 
1) Caddy
This specific caddy is the best one ever. The reason why is because there are two caddies in one. I absolutely loved it. I put my face wash, toothbrush, and what I use in the morning, in the mini caddy. Then in the big caddy, I would put my shampoo and conditioner, body wash, razor, the essentials. Also, get a plastic caddy. Do not get a cloth one because it will not work out as well as a plastic one.

2) Face Towels
Put face towels in your caddy. They are small and it just works if you like to wash your face morning and night.

3) Steriopod
This is probably one of the best things I got for my bathroom stuff. This basically keeps all the bacteria out and not get into your toothbrush. This is essential because there are a lot of germs and bacteria in those communal bathrooms. It is so gross but just protect your toothbrush.

4) Shower Shoes
Please, do not go into the bathroom without shoes on. Do not take a shower without shoes on. The bathroom is clean but still. Wear shower shoes.

5) Body Wrap
This is perfect for when you want to take a shower. Instead of having to change in the shower, you could change in your room, put a body wrap on and then go shower. Plus, it is velcro so you won't have to worry about it falling.

6) Robe
A robe you can use for anything. It if it to cold to use the body wrap, you can use a robe. I feel like a robe is just essential.

7) Extra Towels

Kitchen: 
1) Britta Water Filter
This is an essential because you will get thirsty in the middle of the night and you will want something to drink.

2) Mini Fridge and Microwave
Some schools you can rent both and it's called a microfridge. Some schools you cannot. But you should check with your school. I highly suggest talking to your roommate or roommates to see if one of them can buy a microwave or one buys the mini fridge because you will use it all the time. If it's 3 am and you want Mac and Cheese, you can make Mac and Cheese.

3) Cups, Bowls, Plates, Forks, Knives, Spoons
If you are planning on making food in your dorm or ordering out, make sure you have these items. You can also get Solo cups and paper plates but just have some items to use.

4) Dish soap and Sponge
At my school, there is a kitchen on each floor where you can wash your dishes. I suggest bring a little bottle of dish soap and a sponge to just wash your plates and stuff.

5) Mini Keruig
This is not essential but I highly suggest it. You can use it to make coffee, tea, hot chocolate, anything you want.

6) Electric Tea Kettle
I love tea and I got this to make tea. You can also use it to heat up the water and make ramen if you do not have a microwave.

7) Freebreeze
This is a must. You will need it in your room, for the bathroom, maybe even the hall way. Stock up on Freebreeze because you never know.

8) Paper towels
You will spill all the time. Paper towels will be your best friend.

Laundry: 

1) Laundry Basket and Laundry Bag
I suggest getting two different laundry items. The reason why is because you can just throw all your dirty clothes into the basket and then when it is time to do laundry, you can put it in the bag and take it to the laundry room. You do not have to do this, that is how I am going to do my laundry.

2) Tide Pods
I suggest the little detergent pods instead of a big bottle of detergent. The reason why is you are already lugging a bunch of laundry and now you are have to take a big bottle of detergent. With the pods, you can just take one or two and you are all set.

3) Dryer Sheets

Storage: 
1) Three Drawers
These are one of the best storage units you can use. They also have the ones that do not roll as well. I highly suggest getting two or three. One can be used as a nightstand, one can go under your bed and the other can go in your closet. You can put T-shirts, bras, underwear, sweatshirts, hair products, basically anything you can think of.

2) Baskets
You can use baskets for anything. Depending on how much stuff you bring, definitely get a couple of baskets. You can get mini baskets to put snacks in, big baskets to put maybe a soccer ball or a basket ball. There are so many options that you can use baskets for.

Those are all the basics that you will need for college. I know this list is long and intimidating but it is a start. If you have any questions tweet me @sophiareyes6 or email me. I hope you have a wonderful day/evening.

Carpe Diem,
Sophia


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Invisible Illness Series: Support

Hello everyone! Today's blog post is going to be a little emotional but I feel like it will probably help so many of you all. One thing I have noticed with having Endometriosis is how many people just do not get it. They do not understand why I am constantly in pain. They think that the pain that I am experiencing on a daily basis is something that everyone experiences. It is not. People who suffer from chronic pain can go hours at a time in excruciating pain that honestly is indescribable. And even then if people physically see you in pain, they do not care.They just think you are either faking it or being over dramatic. Well to those people I have this to say, you should be ashamed of yourself. Why would anyone fake being in agony for hours at a time. Why would anyone feel the need to be stuck in bed for a long time just because they just "don't feel like getting up". I have a feeling that many of you have experienced people like that in your life. Well let m

Review: Victoria Secret Seamless Racerback Bra

Hey everyone! So I never see anyone reviewing sports bras! So today I decided to review one! Now I HATE sport bras. Every sports bra that I have ever tried either suffocates my boobs (TMI...sorry!) or they are way to lose to support my boobs when I am working out. Now I am addicted to Victoria Secret Pink. I absolutely love every thing they have. I own way to much stuff from them so when I saw this new sports bra, I had to try it. It is the  Victoria Secret Pink Seamless Racerback Bra ! First Impression: I got it in the tie dye color in blue. When I first got it in the mail, the first thing I thought was how soft it was. Then I saw that it was a very thin material. I thought it was going to be a little thicker like most sports bras. I was kinda afraid that it will show my nips. (TMI!) I got it in a medium. First Time Wearing It: The first time I wore it was not to work out but to school. I got so many compliments from my friends. They all thought it was different because of

Book Review: Bones Never Lie by Kathy Reichs

Another book review!? Yes! Today I have another book review for you all and it is going to be a good one! So this novel was one of the galleys that my mom got for me at BEA. (Book Expo America) Just a warning is that this novel does not come out until September 23. But you can always pre-order it if you are interested. The novel is called  Bones Never Lie by Kathy Reichs .  Now I will give you a little background about why I read this book. When I was in 6th grade, my Biology teacher put on the show Bones for us to watch. And from that day to 10th grade, I wanted to be a forensic anthropologist. Now to this day I love forensics, I think it is super fascinating but I am just not good at biology. Anyways, the show Bones was based off of Kathy Reichs and her life as a forensic anthropologist. Now a forensic anthropologist is someone who studies human bones and  figures out what happened to that person. How they died, if they were murdered, did they have any health problems, stuff