Skip to main content

Change. All I Want is Change.

As many of you know, there has been a lot happening around the world in the past months. I have been wanting to write this blog post for an extremely long time. But I am not going to lie, I was scared but I am not scared any more. Words are extremely powerful now a days and someone needs to say something about what's going on.

Some of you have no idea what I am talking about. So today, I wanted to talk about my opinion on the Michael Brown and Eric Garner cases. When I talk to my friends, they had absolutely no idea the situation, what happened, who these people were. I am not blaming them but I think our society needs to open their eyes to the little things like friend drama and open their eyes to the world.

I am not going to lie. I was one of those kids. I could careless about the world. I was not fascinated in it. All I wanted to do was hang out with my friends and just be in my own world. But then I took this class in high school called Current Issues. Ever since that day, I have not been in my own bubble any more. I am trying to learn more and more about what is happening in my community, in my state, in my country, and in the world I live in today.

So.

I am extremely upset about how the two police officers did not get indicted for the murder of Michael Brown and Eric Garner. When I found out that Darren Wilson was not indicted for the murder of Michael Brown, I cried. I cried because in my head I kept saying "Not again!"

When I found out the police officer was not indicted for the murder of Eric Garner, I was so confused. These were back to back cases and yet both police officers did not get indicted even though one of the murders was caught on video. Now that video person is being prosecuted for doing the right thing.

I get so riled up about this because the Civil Rights Movement is one of my favorite parts in History. I am so fascinated by it. So when the murder of Michael Brown happened, I was shocked. I know that police officers kill blacks, whites, hispanics, asians, all the time. But the fact that they just left his dead body on the road for 4.5 hours, just kills me. He was just out of high school.

This needs to end.

All this hate towards different races especially whites and blacks.

Our generation is supposed to be moving forward, not backward. Yet there are protests now all around the United States.

"Hands up! Don't Shoot!"

"I Can't Breathe!"

There needs to be justice for those two that were killed. But there should be justice for us all. No one deserves to be in fear. That they cannot trust the police because of their skin color. Because of how they look.

I just don't get it.

And as a 18 year old, Latino Woman, who is getting ready to go out in the world, it scares me. It really does.

It's easier said than done obviously. But I feel that justice needs to prevail.

I am so sorry for anyone who has ever felt scared and not trusted by the police for their skin color. I am so sorry to the families of Michael Brown and Eric Garner and to anyone else who has lost their lives trying to make a change. I am so sorry.

I hope that this blog posts opens some people's eyes. I really hope for a better future. Obviously, there will still be pain and sorrow, but at least there is hope.

Those are my thoughts on what is happening now. I would really like for some of you to tweet me or send me a message on your thoughts of the Michael Brown and Eric Garner case and what you think about the protests.

I also would really like people to start educating themselves about the world. It is extremely important. You are the new future.

I hope you have a wonderful day/evening.




Carpe Diem,
Sophia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Invisible Illness Series: Support

Hello everyone! Today's blog post is going to be a little emotional but I feel like it will probably help so many of you all. One thing I have noticed with having Endometriosis is how many people just do not get it. They do not understand why I am constantly in pain. They think that the pain that I am experiencing on a daily basis is something that everyone experiences. It is not. People who suffer from chronic pain can go hours at a time in excruciating pain that honestly is indescribable. And even then if people physically see you in pain, they do not care.They just think you are either faking it or being over dramatic. Well to those people I have this to say, you should be ashamed of yourself. Why would anyone fake being in agony for hours at a time. Why would anyone feel the need to be stuck in bed for a long time just because they just "don't feel like getting up". I have a feeling that many of you have experienced people like that in your life. Well let m

Review: Victoria Secret Seamless Racerback Bra

Hey everyone! So I never see anyone reviewing sports bras! So today I decided to review one! Now I HATE sport bras. Every sports bra that I have ever tried either suffocates my boobs (TMI...sorry!) or they are way to lose to support my boobs when I am working out. Now I am addicted to Victoria Secret Pink. I absolutely love every thing they have. I own way to much stuff from them so when I saw this new sports bra, I had to try it. It is the  Victoria Secret Pink Seamless Racerback Bra ! First Impression: I got it in the tie dye color in blue. When I first got it in the mail, the first thing I thought was how soft it was. Then I saw that it was a very thin material. I thought it was going to be a little thicker like most sports bras. I was kinda afraid that it will show my nips. (TMI!) I got it in a medium. First Time Wearing It: The first time I wore it was not to work out but to school. I got so many compliments from my friends. They all thought it was different because of

Book Review: Bones Never Lie by Kathy Reichs

Another book review!? Yes! Today I have another book review for you all and it is going to be a good one! So this novel was one of the galleys that my mom got for me at BEA. (Book Expo America) Just a warning is that this novel does not come out until September 23. But you can always pre-order it if you are interested. The novel is called  Bones Never Lie by Kathy Reichs .  Now I will give you a little background about why I read this book. When I was in 6th grade, my Biology teacher put on the show Bones for us to watch. And from that day to 10th grade, I wanted to be a forensic anthropologist. Now to this day I love forensics, I think it is super fascinating but I am just not good at biology. Anyways, the show Bones was based off of Kathy Reichs and her life as a forensic anthropologist. Now a forensic anthropologist is someone who studies human bones and  figures out what happened to that person. How they died, if they were murdered, did they have any health problems, stuff